Spreading Democracy and the Rule of Law?The Impact of EU Enlargemente for the Rule of Law, Democracy and Constitutionalism in Post-Communist Legal Orders
Sadurski, Wojciech; Czarnota, Adam; Krygier, Martin (Eds.)
2006, XII, 390 p., Hardcover
Usually dispatched between 3 to 5 days
About this book
Table of contents
Table of contents
Preface. Introduction; M. KRYGIER.
Part I: Democratic Institutions and Practices.
1. W. SADURSKI; "EU Enlargement and Democracy in New Member States".
2. V. OLGIATI; "The Eastern EU Enlargement and the Janus-Headed Nature of the Constitutional Treaty".
3. D. ROBERTSON; "A Problem of Their Own, Solutions of Their Own: CEE Jurisdictions and the Problems of Lustration and Retroactivity".
4. E. RIGO; "Citizens and Foreigners in the Enlarged Europe".
5. G. SASSE, James Hughes, Claire Gordon; "Sub-National Governance in Central and Eastern Europe: Between Transition and Europeanization ".
6. D. TAMVAKI; "The Copenhagen Criteria and the Evolution of Popular Consent to EU Norms: From Legality to Normative Justifiability in Poland and the Czech Republic".
Part II: Constitutionalism.
7. A. SAJO; "Becoming "Europeans": The Impact of EU ‘Constitutionalism’ on Post-Communist Pre-Modernity".
8. J. PRIBAN; "Happy Returns to Europe? The Union’s Identity, Constitution-Making, and Its Impact on the Central European Accession States".
9. D. PIANA; "Why Will Cognitive and Cultural Boundaries Matter? An Evolutionary Approach to the Constitutionalisation of the Enlarged EU".
10. M. AZIZ; "Constitutional Tolerance and EU Enlargement: the Politics of Dissent?".
11. C. BOULANGER; "Europeanisation Through Judicial Activism? The Hungarian Constitutional Court’s Legitimacy and the ‘Return to Europe’".
Part III: The Rule of Law.
12. A. CZARNOTA; "Barbarians ante portas or the Post-Communist Rule of Law in Post-Democratic European Union".
13. M. ZIRK-SADOWSKI; "Transformation and Integration of Legal Cultures and Discourses – Poland".
14. D. SMILOV; "EU Enlargement and the Constitutional Principle of Judicial Independence".
15. I. POGANY; "Post-Communist Legal Orders and the Roma: Some Implications for EU Enlargement".
16. L. ZAGATO; "A Europe of Variable Geometry: Still a Winning Model?".
Concluding Remarks. S. BARTOLE; "Conclusions: The Adhesion of New Member States to the European Union and the European Constitution".